Monday, June 7, 2010

A little dream

How much stock do you put into your dreams? I have had some seriously crazy dreams since becoming pregnant. For example, I dreamed that I was in a very, ahem, provocative episode of CSI NY with Gary Sinese (not my ideal man by the way, but hey, I can't help what I dream), then I dreamed that I was drinking a very large, very tasty, very cold German beer out of a giant frosty mug and it was the very best thing I'd ever drank (and I don't even really like beer that much) and I dreamed that my Italian friend Daisy was giving me glass after glass of the most delicious wine I'd ever tasted. Do you see a trend here, people? Sex, beer and wine -- all things I can't (or couldn't have).
But the odd dream that stands out the most is the one where I was in labor and I showed up at the hospital to find that my co-worker Holly was my OB.
"What are you doing here?" I asked her.
"I work here on the weekends. You know, I work Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at Tal.bots, Tuesdays and Thursdays at the flower shop and on the weekends I deliver babies for fun."
"Well you aren't touching me! I want a real doctor!"
And, so it was a big joke when I told everyone at work about this dream. Everyone thought the idea of Holly delivering babies was absolutely absurd.
But then the dream started to make sense. I asked my RE to recommend an OB and he told me about a group of doctors that he respects and thinks I would get along great with. The catch? All the docs in the group, except for one, are women and I prefer a male doctor.
"I want him to be like you, Dr. London -- wise and experienced with gray hair," I said.
Dr. London laughed and said, "well, the little bit of hair Dr. Carter has left is gray but he's not like me -- he's skinny." ha ha. That Dr. London cracks me up.
So, I go to work and tell the girls about the recommendation and, of course, I ask if anyone knows anything about this Dr. Carter? And, Holly is the first to pipe up -- "he's my doctor. I love him! He's wonderful!" And, she goes on and on listing all the reasons Dr. Carter is her favorite doctor ever.
So, I start to think to myself -- maybe if you dream that Holly is your OB, it means you should look into seeing Holly's OB.
Today, I gave his office a call. After explaining my situation the lady on the phone asked the magic question -- what insurance do you have? Well, guess what? Dr. Carter doesn't take that insurance. Oh no! But, sometimes he makes exceptions particularly if a colleague has referred a patient to him. So, this nice lady tells me she'll talk with the doctor and call me back. About 20 minutes later, I have an appoinment for June 30 with Dr. Carter.
I can't tell you how excited I am about this because I have a feeling I'm really going to like this doctor and I feel like all signs were pointing in his direction. Have you ever had a dream that led you to an important decision?

3 comments:

  1. I too have had some really crazy/freaky dreams with this pregnancy, I've heard that's definitely normal though! But wow, that was one crazy ironic coincidence about Holly & the doctor! Hope you love the new doc & feel comfortable with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had some crazy dreams, but none ever leading me to important decisions. I usually dream a combination of things that i've watched or talked about throughout the day. I hope that your appointment with the doctor goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, here from the blogroundup.
    I got goosebumps!!! seriously...hopefully your appt goes really well...sounds like a SIGN to me. :)

    GOOD LUCK (and congrats on the pregnancy)

    ReplyDelete